20 March 2015

Kuyper Belt Object

This is a sample poem from my first book, "All my masks"

This may well be my last word on the subject
Stolen, as it is, from an earlier theme
From an earlier time, there misapplied
Here captured and thrown in a different cycle
And focussed at last on you, fair laughing sun
So false a star to guide me by
Yet, in reality, so true
And once I was so drawn to you
By the effulgence of your beauty
Unwittingly, perhaps unwillingly
Seeming to wander a while from my proper orbit
From my proper station
But now, in the shadow of the greater spheres
Those bolder and fuller of majesty
I am no longer blinded in my gaze
Here, where it is quiet and calm and cold
Here I remain
Where I, in truth, have always been
Save in delusion
Out beyond love, beyond friendship even
Out where polite acquaintance holds its sway
Its gentle gravity to keep me from drifting
Out before my time, out into night
Where it will no longer matter what I say
I am, and always will be, too far away
For you to notice
Perhaps too far away to know
My own next move
My own next motive

(c) Edward Rhodes (2011)

No comments: